Dr Martens are a popular footwear brand known for its durability and style. These boots are leather and can be quite tough to break in. However, they can be very comfortable to wear once you break them in. If you’re wondering how to stretch out Dr. Martens, you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll share some easy tips and tricks that you can follow to make your boots more comfortable.
Why Stretch Out Dr Martens?
If you have just bought a new pair of Dr. Martens, you may find them stiff and uncomfortable. Stretching them out makes them more comfortable and easier to wear. By stretching them out, you can avoid blisters and sore feet.
How to Stretch Out Dr Martens?
Dr. Martens are a popular choice of footwear thanks to their comfort, durability, and unique style. However, if your new Dr. Martens feel snug, you may need to stretch them out to get the perfect fit. One best way to do this is by using water.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to stretch out your Dr. Martens using water:
- Start by filling a spray bottle with water. You can also use a damp cloth, but a spray bottle will distribute the water more evenly.
- Spray the outside of your Dr. Martens with water. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the boots with a fine mist of water.
- Put on thick socks, and then wear your wet Dr. Martens. Make sure to lace them up tightly so your feet are snug inside.
- Wear your wet boots for at least 20 minutes or until they dry. As you walk around, your feet will help stretch out the leather.
- Repeat the process if your Dr. Martens feels a little tight after 20 minutes. Spray the outside of your boots with water again, put on your thick socks, and wear them around until they dry.
- Once your boots are dry, apply some leather conditioner to keep the leather soft and supple.
It’s important to note that this method may only work for some, and it’s best to use caution when trying to stretch out your Dr. Martens. If you have a particularly stubborn pair of boots, take them to a professional cobbler who can stretch them out safely and effectively.
Using Leather Conditioner
Leather conditioner is another effective way to stretch out your Dr. Martens. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Choose a Leather Conditioner
Many types of leather conditioner are available on the market, so choose one suitable for your Dr. Martens. Look for a product designed to soften and condition leather rather than clean it. Some popular options include Lexol Leather Conditioner and Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner.
Step 2: Apply the Conditioner
Once you’ve chosen your leather conditioner, it’s time to apply it to your Dr. Martens. Start by cleaning your shoes with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris. Then, apply the conditioner to the leather using a clean cloth or sponge. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the shoe, paying special attention to any areas that feel particularly stiff or tight.
Step 3: Wear Your Shoes
After you’ve applied the conditioner, it’s time to wear your Dr. Martens. While the leather is still damp from the conditioner, put on your shoes and walk around in them for at least 30 minutes. This will help to stretch out the leather and mold it to the shape of your foot.
Step 4: Repeat as Needed
Depending on how stiff your Dr. Martens are, you may need to repeat this process a few times before they feel comfortable. However, be careful not to over-condition your shoes, which can cause the leather to become too soft and lose shape. Stick to using the conditioner once a week or as needed.
Leather conditioner is a simple and effective way to stretch out your Dr. Martens and make them more comfortable. You can break into your new shoes and enjoy them with patience and persistence for years.
Using Shoe Stretchers
Shoe stretchers are specially designed tools that can help stretch out your boots. Here’s how you can use them:
- Step 1: Purchase a shoe stretcher that is appropriate for the size and style of your Dr. Martens. You can find shoe stretchers at shoe stores or online retailers.
- Step 2: Insert the shoe stretcher into your Dr. Martens. Ensure the stretcher is adjusted to fit the shoe snugly but not too tightly.
- Step 3: Turn the knob on the shoe stretcher to expand it. This will push against the sides of the shoe and help stretch it out.
- Step 4: Leave the shoe stretcher in your Dr. Martens for 24-48 hours. The longer/larger you leave it in, the more the shoe will stretch.
- Step 5: Remove the shoe stretcher from your Dr. Martens and try them on. You should notice a significant difference in how they fit!
- Step 6: Repeat the process if necessary. If your Dr. Martens still feels too tight, you can repeat the stretching process until you achieve the desired fit.
Using shoe stretchers is a simple and effective way to break in your new Dr. Martens without blisters and discomfort. So, try it and enjoy the comfort and style of your Dr. Martens!
Ice is another great way to stretch out your Dr. Martens. Here’s how you can do it:
- Fill a plastic bag with water and seal it tightly. Make sure to remove any excess air inside the bag.
- Place the bag of water inside your Dr. Martens. Filling the boots enough to stretch out is essential, but be careful to serve them appropriately.
- Put your Dr. Martens in the freezer with the bag of water for at least six hours or until the water inside the bag turns into ice.
- Once the ice has formed, take your boots out of the freezer and let them sit at room temperature for around 20 minutes. This will allow the ice to melt slightly and become more pliable.
- Carefully remove the bags of ice from your boots, ensuring no water is left inside. This should stretch out the leather and make them more comfortable to wear.
- Finally, please put on your Dr. Martens and walk around the house to let them adjust to your feet. Repeat the process if necessary.
Using a Hair Dryer
A hairdryer can also be used to stretch out your Dr. Martens. Here’s how you can do it:
- Step 1: Put on a pair of thick socks that you would wear with your Dr. Martens.
- Step 2: Put on your Dr. Martens and walk around your house for 10-15 minutes to warm up your boots.
- Step 3: Turn on your hair dryer to the highest setting.
- Step 4: Hold the hair dryer about six inches away from the tight areas of your Dr. Martens. Concentrate on the parts of the boots that are tight, such as the toes, heel, or sides.
- Step 5: Move the hair dryer around the tight areas for about 20-30 seconds. Be sure to move the hair dryer around to prevent overheating in any one place.
- Step 6: While wearing thick socks, flex your feet and toes to stretch out the boots while they’re still warm. Continue to turn your feet and toes until the shoes cool down.
- Step 7: Repeat the process until your Dr. Martens fit comfortably.
Stretching your Dr. Martens with a hair dryer is an easy and effective way to make them more comfortable to wear. Just be sure to take your time and be patient, as it may take a few rounds to get them to the perfect fit.
Breaking into a new pair of Dr. Martens can be a painful and uncomfortable experience. However, with these easy tips and tricks, you can stretch out your boots and make them more comfortable. There are many ways to stretch out your Dr. Martens, from water to leather conditioner to shoe stretchers. Remember to take your time and stop stretching once the boots feel comfortable. With a little patience, you’ll enjoy your Dr. Martens without any discomfort.
How long does it take to stretch out Dr. Martens?
The amount of time it takes to stretch out your Dr. Martens depends on your method and the tightness’s severity. It could take a few hours to a few days.
Can I stretch out my Dr. Martens too much?
Yes, it’s possible to overstretch your boots. Check the fit regularly and stop stretching when the shoes feel comfortable.
Do all types of Dr. Martens stretch out?
Not all types of Dr. Martens are made of the same material so the stretching process may vary. It’s best to check the care instructions that come with your boots.